Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans Day 2012

This has not been an easy weekend for me.  It's been Veterans Day 2012 weekend.  I've attended 3 events with the Boy Scouts for Veterans Day.  For those who don't know it's the 50th anniversary of the start of the Vietnam War this year.  But that's not what has been so tough on me.

I've never really cared much for Veterans Day.  I feel uncomfortable receiving recognition for not being extraordinary.  My generation had a few skirmishes and the start of Desert Storm, but I didn't have to go through a WWII.  I wasn't rejected as the Vietnam Veterans were on their return.  And I never saw terrorist actions like the young men in Afghanistan or the middle east.  So I'd much rather the attention go to those that do deserve it.   

But this year Taps has a more eerie sound for me.  It's always struck a chord in my heart, but this year, 2012, it's shook me to the core every time I've heard it.  You see, this is the first Veterans Day since one of the heros of WWII passed away, my grandfather Capt. William F. Nesser.  He wasn't in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard.  He was in the Merchant Marines.  He went where our Coast Guard and Navy wouldn't even think of going.  His command went to Russia and points between where u-boats were peppering the waters.

I remember back in the 80's when the Government recognized the Merchant Marines, my grandfather was elated to hold the title of veteran.  He received medals from the governments of France and Russia for his efforts in delivering goods to their countries, but the thing he was proudest of was his DD214 releasing him from military service and making him a veteran.  At his funeral the Navy played taps and handed the family a flag in his honor.  He deserved every bit of it. 

Recently the WWII museum in New Orleans had a display of my grandfathers maritime goods from his time in service and travels around the world.  The article is here if you're interested in reading about him and the museum.

Just weeks before he passed away they spent a day interviewing him about his adventures.  The stories I heard over the last 20 or so years about trips to Russia, watching explosions on the horizon as his buddies ships were blown up and watching them sink, politics over where the cargo ships were to go, and many others are held for my childrens children to remember what this man was part of.  I'm sure I've forgotten as many stories as I remember, but I remember many of them.

WWII vets are becoming fewer and fewer.  My grandfather was 92, and he was a young man when the war started.  If you know a veteran, especially a WWII veteran, make sure you take the time and listen to them.  Hear their stories of adventure of battles and sorrow of losses of their best friends.  It's time you'll never regret.   And honestly I can't think of anything a veteran would want more than to spend a few minutes telling another generation of their hardships and their victories. It really is a great way to pay honor and tribute for all they went through.

God Bless, and may He guide our country and put a protective hand over all the young men and women still in harms way protecting our freedoms.

Dennis Nesser

No comments:

Post a Comment