Saturday, February 16, 2013

Aging

I've thought a lot about aging this week.  I'm not sure if Pope Benedicts retirement was part of that, or if it's my impending birthday or what it was, but whatever it was a thought popped into my head that was almost scary to me.  On my birthday I will be the same age my father was when I got married the first time (at the age of 29). 

The age of 49 doesn't scare me (I'll be 49 in March).  The age of 50 doesn't scare me.  Being the same age as my father when I was at a major point of my ADULT life scares the hell out of me.  I can't be that old can I? It's bad enough I can open my mouth and hear my father speak when I'm getting on the boys sometimes (I'm still not sure how he does that little trick),  or that I look more and more like my father (no that bald spot on the back of my head did not come from my mothers side of the family), or that while on very different paths we both started our spiritual journeys about the same time in life (can that be genetic too?) but now I have to start being the same age my father was when I was an adult? Really?  Come on now that can't be right!

I'm not sure what age my dad was when he was 49.  You know that mental age of not wanting to grow up, not the physical age of creaky bones.  I think he set it in my spirit though to always keep active, always keep going and always stay young.  Wonder if he was 35 back then...cause that's about where I think I am. 

Wonder what I'm going to feel like when I get to his current age, just shy of 70?  Really 69?  Dang he can't be that old, cause that would mean he had me when he was like 35 or something like that not the 20 I know he was.  See my dilemma here?

God Bless
Dennis


No comments:

Post a Comment