Sunday, November 10, 2013

Veternas Day 2013



I am a veteran.  I state that not in looking for reward or praise, but as a statement of fact.  I didn’t join the Army in 1983 for either.  Nor did my time in service make me a hero.  I definitely didn’t join the Army to become a hero to anyone.  To be honest it was almost 10 years after I got out of the Army that I ever even went to a Veterans Day celebration, and even then it was only because my son asked me to attend one at school. 

Like most veterans from my time, I never had to see war.  I was fortunate.  Men and women before and after me have not been so fortunate.  To me, even today, Veteran Day is more for those men and women than myself.  I think you’ll find a majority of veterans aren’t looking for anything.  The thank-yous are nice, but I’ve never asked for one, nor have I ever expected one.  And if you want to know the truth, I’m a bit uncomfortable with them sometimes.  There are many veterans so much more deserving that I am of those thank-yous. 

I think I am in the majority of veterans.  Most veterans I know are more comfortable talking about being a veteran with someone who is a veteran because we understand it’s not about anyone being better than anyone else.  We are no more deserving of anything over anyone else.  Amongst ourselves you don’t hear thank-you or you’re a hero or anything else, and I think as a group we are more comfortable just being another one of the guys. 

To be honest the Army has already paid me back many times over for my service.  My continued learning of life skills like respect, honesty, trustworthiness, discipline, and managing people are all things that were reinforced and refined in the Army.  And while my job in the military of breaking codes didn’t translate very well into the civilian world, I did find out that I had a talent for computers that I later followed and is my career today.  It gave me 8 years to decide what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, all the time knowing I’d have a paycheck and roof over my head and 3 meals a day in my belly.  When I was 18 I was overwhelmed with the prospect of going out into the ‘adult world’, and the Army gave me a productive purpose while I worked through those things.   

Between my parents and the Army I’ve seen more of the world than I bet 1 in 10,000 have.  Not only did my parents get me through all 50 states, but the Army got me through or allowed me to go through a couple of dozen countries (though I’d like to have not been in one or two of them). 

Don’t get me wrong, I knew very well what I was signing up for.  I understood, and was reminded time and time again of the possibilities.  There were risk with the rewards, and that was always clearly understood and accepted by me, and everyone else who ever signed into the military.  I have heard gun shots in my direction from people who wanted to kill us.  And I’ve missed life events that all I ever got to see were the pictures afterwards because the Army had other plans then I did, sometimes at the very last minute after plane tickets were purchased.  And even with all that I signed on the dotted line not once, but twice. 

So what do I want through all this? Nothing.  Honestly nothing.  Again, I never joined the Army expecting anything when I got out other than the promises Uncle Sam made to me if I provided honorable service. 
I have learned to graciously accept the thank-yous and other talk after 25 years, much like when someone gives you a present that you didn’t ask for nor do you really want.  I’ve even learned to be appreciative when the school or VFW or someone else wants to recognize veterans for their service, though I’m much more comfortable giving that recognition than receiving it.

I do believe our schools need to teach our children about what Veterans Day stands for, something I’m blessed that our school does a fine job of doing.  But I also think they need to teach what Memorial Day, Labor Day, Flag Day, Presidents Day and many other days stand for, and not that they are just days off from work or school, or a day to drink beer and BBQ.

If you really want to thank a veteran, then live up to the potential you were meant to.  Do your civic duties like jury duty and responsible voting.  Be a good citizen.  Honestly you’d be thanking every veteran more by doing those type of things than anything else you could do ever say to us.

God Bless,
Dennis Nesser
Veteran US Army 

No comments:

Post a Comment